Midway between the city of Sheffield and the ancient market town of Chesterfield, with its famous "Crooked Spire" visible in the distance, the parish of Holmesfield is based around two centres of population: the village of Holmesfield itself, and the hamlet of Millthorpe.
Holmesfield sits approximately 800 feet above sea level, and is superbly placed to provide extensive views of the valley below.
The village of Holmesfield itself consists of a number of farming hamlets situated above the Cordwell Valley, and is surrounded by a rolling sea of undulating hills and moorland which separates it from the Peak District.
Steeped in history, the name "Holmesfield" means "raised pasture-land" and comes from Norse and Anglo-Saxon origin.
Viking influences are also evident with many road names suffixed by "gate"; the old Norse word for "way".
Furthermore, the village was also first recorded in the Doomesday Book of 1086.
St Swithins Church
St Swithins parish church marks the centre of Holmesfield and can be seen from almost all of the surrounding areas.
The main church was built in 1826 but has seen further work in recent years with the Vicarage being added in 1999. Still visible in the grounds are the remains of a stone cross from around 641 AD, which would have replaced an original wooden cross erected by monks to mark the place where they would preach.
A more detailed history of St Swithins Church can be found on the parish website.
Other notable Holmesfield buildings include Holmesfield Hall, dated 1613, with additions built in the 18th century, and Woodthorpe Hall, a large 17th century, gabled manor house, dating back to 1636.